Services > Immigration > British Citizenship

here to help

British Citizenship

If you are looking to apply for British Citizenship, Vyman Solicitors can help. Our experienced and understanding lawyers can guide you through each stage of the process, ensuring that your application is correct and that the process goes as smoothly as possible.

We can advise you even when there are issues or concerns with your immigration history, or when things go wrong, and your application has been refused. To discuss your specific needs and concerns with a member of our team, call us today on 0208 051 2391 or complete our online enquiry form.

Quick Enquiry

here to help

Can I apply for British Citizenship?

If you have been living and working in the UK for a continuous period of five years or more, you may wish to apply for naturalisation. If your application is approved, you will be granted British Citizenship. To be eligible to apply for British Citizenship, you must meet the following criteria:

You must be aged 18 years of age or over;

You must satisfy the residency requirements;

You must have had Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK for at least 12 months, or hold permanent residency in the UK as an EEA national;

You must not have broken any immigration laws and must not have been convicted of a serious crime;

You must have sufficient knowledge of the English language and be able to complete the “Life in the UK” Test.

You must have lived in the UK for a minimum of five years in order to naturalise for British Citizenship, and you must not have been outside the UK for more than 450 days in the last five years, or more than 90 days in the 12 months preceding your application.

British Citizenship

Routes to Citizenship

By Birth

The right to citizenship is not automatic if you were born in the UK. Your right would dependent on;

  1. When you were born
  2. And your parents’ circumstances at time of your birth.
Moved to the UK

This is the process of naturalisation and depends on your circumstances, but in all cases, you must hold some sort of a permanent stay in the UK;

  1. Your married to or in a civil partnership with a British Citizen and have lived in the UK for the last 3 years.
  2. You have indefinite leave to remain and have lived in the UK 12 months.
  3. You have permanent residence status as a EU, EEA or Switzerland national and have lived in the UK for 12 months.
  4. You have settled status under EU Settlement Scheme and have lived in the UK for 12 months
Other ways
  1. You have a British Parent
  2. You have another type of British nationality such as;
    • British overseas citizen
    • British protected person
    • British subject
    • British national (overseas)
  3. Your stateless
  4. You previously gave up (renounced) your citizenship
If you are a Commonwealth Citizen

People can apply for citizenship under the Windrush scheme if both;

  1. You or one of your parents arrived in the UK before 1973
  2. You have lived in the UK and not been away from it for more than 2 years

If your parents arrived in the UK before 1973 you must have either;

  1. Been born in the UK
  2. Arrived in the UK before you were 18

What is “Life in the UK” test?

You may be asked to complete a “Life in the UK” test as part of the naturalisation application process. This is a multiple-choice test designed to test your knowledge of life in the UK. Not everyone is required to take this test, and our lawyers will be able to advise you as to whether you are exempt.

Applying for British Citizenship?

If you meet the criteria to apply for naturalisation, you must apply online along with all relevant documentation. Our lawyers can assist you in ensuring that you have all necessary documentation and evidence and that your application is completed correctly.

Your application will then be reviewed by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). They will conduct a background check on both your criminal history and your visa status.

If your application for naturalisation is approved, you will be invited to participate in a citizenship ceremony where you will be presented with your Certificate of Naturalisation. Once you have your certificate, you may apply for a British Passport.

How can we help you?

Vyman Solicitors has a wealth of experience and can provide you with a full service to attain British citizenship.

We provide essential support to immigrants nationwide.

Please note that you need to formally instruct us or arrange an appointment before we can consider your matter or give you any advice. We do not accept instructions on a “no win, no fee” or legal aid basis.